Parents and Youth for Change
Neighborhood Community Organizer
Parents and Youth for Change is a community-based partner organization of Voices for Vermont’s Children and the Lead Community Partner with the Burlington and Winooski school districts to support an educational experience that is student-centered and proficiency-based.
Parents and Youth for Change (PYC) is made up of community members of all different ages and backgrounds from Burlington and Winooski. PYC relies on the untapped wisdom of these communities and aims to amplify voices that have historically not had a meaningful influence in their community schools or education reform.
PYC is hiring a part-time Neighborhood-Based Community Organizer. The organizer will be responsible for developing relationships with adults and youth through one-to-one meetings and group conversations. The organizer will also support them as they work together to advance an important educational issue, do research, develop their leadership and organizing skills, and take action.
The ideal candidate will have a strong ability to build new relationships (in person, door-to-door, community events, phone calls). Attention to detail and excellent follow-through skills are required. Proficiency with computers, specifically email and calendars, is important. The candidate must also demonstrate respect for people of all backgrounds and the ability to motivate and work well with volunteers. Interest in educational issues and an understanding of the school system as well as the challenges faced by families in poverty are a plus.
- Learn our model of community organizing and incorporate its principles into day-to-day work activities (PICO Model – People Improving Communities through Organizing)
- Organize in 4-6 public and affordable housing neighborhoods across Winooski and Burlington
- Conduct one-to-one visits with new and established organizational leaders on a consistent and regular basis
- Identify, train and develop leaders to act in the public arena
- Assist leadership in defining vision, goals and activities in each neighborhood
- Assist parent leaders in research and strategy that will lead to community action meetings
- Work together as part of the Community Organizing team
- Participate in administrative activities as required
Parents and Youth for Change has a strong learning culture, which includes regular staff development sessions. We place a high priority on personal learning, relationship-building and creating a respectful organization.
This is a half-time position - (20 hours per week); Nights and weekend work required; Hourly wage is between $15.50 and $18.50 based on background and experience. Pro-rated benefits included. Opportunity for additional hours beginning in March 2018.
- High School diploma and some college or equivalent experience required.
- Strong interpersonal and relational skills.
- Strong communication skills and work ethic.
- Strong interest in community, youth and social justice issues, particularly education.
- Ability to plan strategically to impact community issues.
- Respect for diverse communities.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Desire to learn and openness to challenge.
- Basic computer skills, including email, calendars, internet Word and Excel.
- Organizing experience preferred.
Learn more about us at http://www.voicesforvtkids.org/pyc/