Family Friendly Report Card in Burlington
- A self-assessment, developed by a former Burlington Home-School Liaison and generated by students and parents or as a report to share generated by or with teachers, advisors and guidance counselors. It is also meant to be an educational and planning tool to help students and families to better understand how classes are organized and the path to career-college goals
Key partners in the discipline system reform with the Burlington School District
- Parents and Youth for Change facilitated a listening campaign and research meetings with influential members of the Burlington School District to learn how to best integrate restorative practices into the disciplinary program
- Read the PYC Discipline Research Report here
- PYC staff completed the Summer Institute in Restorative Practices hosted by the Community Justice Center in St. Johnsbury, Vermont as well as continuing ongoing workshops with Advancing Restorative Justice in Schools practitioners
Winooski Transportation Pilot Program
- PYC helped to secure funding for a transportation pilot that will shuttle students to school during the coldest winter months to make getting to school safer, more timely, and less stressful for families in Winooski.
- Ongoing meetings with Winooski families to determine the best pick-up locations, how to use travel time productively, and what types of data to analyze to determine what impacts the pilot may have on student outcomes in the district.
New advisory program for Burlington High School students
- PYC surveyed 100 students and had 1:1 interviews with roughly 90 teachers from Burlington High School to learn about the hopes and concerns of how an effective advisory program at BHS could be designed
- PYC worked with BHS to propose an advisory program that focused on understanding how students develop and reach their college and career-readiness goals.
- PYC continues to assist the school with monitoring and assessing its progress. Read more about it here.
- PYC’s work has also informed the education policy research report published by Voices for Vermont’s Children at the state level.