Youth Advisory Council
Voices For Vermont’s Children is building a youth advisory council to act as a voice for the youth of Vermont and ensure that our agenda accurately reflects the needs of young people in our state. The council acts as both a guiding presence for our work as well as plays an active role in advocating for our mission.
Voices Youth Council Member Description
● Participate in monthly meetings to receive legislative updates, discuss and prioritize issues impacting youth, advise Voices on youth needs, and create and implement projects in support of legislative goals.
● Participate in Voices conferences by attending and/or creating youth driven training opportunities
● Engage in advocacy and direct project work to support priority legislation
● Receive trainings related to leadership development, team building, non-profit and advocacy
● Provide a direct voice for youth in Voices policy work
● Youth between the ages of 14-20 who are interested in improving the quality of life for all young people in Vermont
● Commitment to participate in monthly meetings located at our Montpelier office and commit to a full school year. Virtual attendance for some meetings is possible.
● Ability to attend periodic trainings and events
● Support for voices legislative work and engagement in advocacy projects as determined by group
● An interest in growing leadership skills
Skill Building Opportunities:
● Learn about and directly engage in the legislative process over the course of an entire legislative session
● Build leadership skills
● Learn about non-profit structure and career paths
● Engage in project and advocacy work to directly impact the lives of all of Vermont’s children
● Potential opportunities to engage in other statewide youth boards and conference
● Opportunity to become proficient in transferable skills. Meets LE for Citizenship